Built in 1921, The Julian was constructed as a women’s shoe factory that employed over one thousand people. The construction was overseen by William Julian, president of the Julian & Kokenge Company. The factory endured for over 60 years before succumbing to the industry shifting active operations overseas in 1974.
Today The Julian, now home to 90 downtown Columbus loft-style apartments, was born from adaptive reuse bringing back to life it's orginal grandeur. There is a belief that our city and our resources should be conserved, and that being environmentally conscious is the only way to honor the past and protect the future.
The Julian is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Photography - UA Creative Studios